Somme 100 toolkit
The Royal British Legion is encouraging communities to remember the centenary of the Battle of the Somme and has produced a toolkit to assist with commemorative events.
The Battle of the Somme was fought at such terrible cost that it has come to symbolise the tragic futility of the First World War. Its first day of conflict remains the bloodiest day in the history of the British Army and it was felt deeply at home, in particular in those towns and villages which had raised Pals battalions and suffered horrible losses.
Its 100th anniversary provides an opportunity to commemorate the Service and sacrifice of those who lost their lives in the battle, to reflect upon the human cost of conflict and to have hope for a more peaceful world.
As the nation’s custodian of Remembrance, The Royal British Legion would like to assist you with organising an event in your local community, to commemorate those who made the ultimate sacrifice in this battle. We've produced a Somme 100 toolkit, which is available to download, to help you with your event.
Remember the Battle of the Somme 1916-2016 toolkit is now available for download only
Thank you for your interest in commemorating the Battle of the Somme. Due to overwhelming demand our Remember the Battle of the Somme 1916-2016 toolkit is no longer available but you can still download an electronic version below.
Alternatively, if you’re involved in sport you can commemorate the Service and sacrifice of the Sportsmen who served at the Somme by ordering one of our Sport Remembers toolkits.
Available for download, our Remember the Battle of the Somme 1916-2016 toolkit includes the following items:
- The Act of Remembrance
- Readings, Somme poetry, soldiers' diaries and letters (a selection is included in the Act of Remembrance download)
- A concise history of the Somme
- 'Legion Standard', your souvenir '1916' newspaper
- A listing of Pals Battalion information
- Promotional material including posters and press release (editable pdf version, see related downloads below for word version)
- Information about The Royal British Legion, Poppy Shop Somme merchandise and Remembrance Travel WW1 centenary tours