Greater Manchester manifesto 2017
The Legion has produced a manifesto for the forthcoming mayor which would support Manchester’s Armed Forces community.
The Royal British Legion has produced a manifesto outlining key policy changes which would help support serving men and women, veterans and their families in Greater Manchester, following the election of the region’s first mayor in May 2017.
Our five policy recommendations for the new mayor include:
- Provide leadership on the delivery of the Armed Forces Covenant by appointing an Advocate for the Armed Forces community
- Improve public services’ knowledge and awareness of the size and needs of the Armed Forces community
- Ensure that Reservists and Armed Forces families are provided with the support to which they are entitled
- Ensure that members of the Armed Forces community have access to clear and consistent housing advice and the support to which they are entitled
- Ensure that the Armed Forces community across Greater Manchester can access specialist mental health treatment and support
Alison Bunn, Area Manager for the Royal British Legion, said: “The election of a new mayor will bring big changes and everyone within Greater Manchester has a stake in the growth and development of this new institution. The Armed Forces community in Greater Manchester will continue to provide a huge contribution to the area and they must be appropriately supported as they do so.”