Overseas Support

The Royal British Legion has 96 branches outside the United Kingdom, and we might be able to help you in various ways.

Just because you aren't based in the United Kingdom doesn't mean you have to miss out on the invaluable help we can give our beneficiaries.

Explore our overseas branches.

Other sources of help and information:

  • The Department for Work and Pensions can give you information about benefits, insurance, employment, pensions and medical care abroad.
  • Directgov is a useful online source of information about living abroad, education, employment, money and much more.
  • The Foreign & Commonwealth Office website contains information about individual countries, what to do if something goes wrong, and contact details for embassies.
  • Heathrow Travel Care gives information on its website for British nationals who are returning to the UK. It also provides independent crisis social work based at Heathrow Airport, and is working with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to help vulnerable people returning to the UK to access support and services.

If you need a translatoR

If you can't afford to pay for a professional interpreter and you need one for a clear health or welfare reason – Such as to communicate with health professionals or state social services - our grants scheme may be able to help.

If you have an urgent, unexpected neeD

We might be able to help you through a temporary crisis by providing grants like:

  • Food or clothing vouchers
  • Basic funeral costs
  • Minor repairs to and maintenance of property
  • Mobility vehicles and aids
  • Removal expenses where there's been a family breakdown
  • Household appliances and furniture.

Our grants cover a huge range of situations and we will consider virtually any request.

Please note, however, that we can't offer: 

  • Anything that can be provided by the state
  • Help with business debts
  • Legal expenses like solicitors' fees and court costs
  • Loans
  • Medical care
  • Help with care home fees.

If you need help to claim compensation

We can guide you through the War Pensions Scheme or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, depending on the date of your injury, illness or bereavement.

If the injury, illness or bereavement came about through faulty equipment, someone's mistake or neglect, you may have a civil claim for damages (negligence) against the Ministry of Defence. We can advise you and help you to find a solicitor who will help.

However, please be aware that although advice and preparations can take place remotely, tribunals and hearings will always have to be lodged and heard in the United Kingdom.

If you need help with disability benefits

We also provide specialist UK statutory disability claims advice and support, and we might be able to help you through an appeal tribunal hearing if you want to dispute a decision. However, although advice and preparations can take place remotely, disability benefit tribunal hearings have to be heard in the United Kingdom. Explore how we can help.

If you need help to manage debt or claim state benefits

Our Benefits and Money Advisers are based in England, Wales and Northern Ireland but are there to help you - wherever you live. We give confidential and impartial advice on how to make sure that you're getting any UK state benefits you're entitled to, and we'll try to help you sort out any debts you have with UK banks.


Search our online Knowledgebase for answers to commonly-asked questions and further information, advice and guidance from the Legion.


Search our Knowledge base

for answers

Get in touch Launch live chat

8am to 8pm, all week

Call our helpline 0808 802 8080

8am to 8pm, all week

Find us locally Pop in for a chat

10am to 4pm, weekdays