Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

If you suffered an injury or illness related to your Service in the Armed Forces on or after 6 April 2005, you can claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme covers all Regular and Reserve personnel, including Gurkhas.

You have to make your claim within seven years of the injury or illness. If no specific incident caused your condition, then you have to claim within seven years of leaving Service.

You do not have to wait until you've left Service to submit a claim.

Visit for information on how to make a claim and to access claim forms.

How we can help

The Legion helps beneficiaries to appeal decisions made by Veterans UK under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. We can also represent you for free at the Appeal Tribunal if you want to take further action.


Our team of War Pension & Compensation Representatives will advise you over the phone and discuss your case, your chance of success at appeal and whether further evidence may be needed. They will also be able to explain how the Tribunal process works and what to expect at your hearing.


For help with an Appeals Tribunal or general advice call our free contact centre on 0808 802 8080, or email

Please note that if your injury or illness happened on or before 5 April 2005 then your claim is assessed under the War Pensions Scheme, and if you're already receiving a War Disablement Pension through that scheme then your benefits won't change.

The Veterans UK website explains what you need to know about Armed Forces Compensation including how to appeal


Search our online Knowledgebase for answers to commonly-asked questions and further information, advice and guidance from the Legion.


Search our Knowledge base

for answers

Get in touch Launch live chat

8am to 8pm, all week

Call our helpline 0808 802 8080

8am to 8pm, all week

Find us locally Pop in for a chat

10am to 4pm, weekdays

Related Stories